I know you’ve probably been anxiously waiting for it, so here it is. The Second Annual Top Ten Theme Party Ideas Inspired by This Year’s Top News Stories and Trends.
- Muppet Madness. This year the Muppets were back, and I couldn’t be happier about it. Celebrate Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo and the whole gang with songs, self-referential jokes, and open mouthed laughter.
- Complete and Total Trainwreck Party. This is in honor of the amazing gaffes and incredibly awkward moments during the lead up to the Republican primaries. Tell your guests to bring their best Herman Cain or Michele Bachmann impression. Serve pizza.
- Space Shuttle Shindig. This year marked the end of the space shuttle program, and while I believe bigger things are coming, I think it’s important to recognize the contributions made during the 30 year program. Build your own model rocket and drink some Tang.
- An Oprah Farewell. This lady was on television for a really long time! She interviewed a ton of celebrities and gave away a lot of stuff. To celebrate her legacy, how about taking some terrible medical advice. (Alternate party idea: A Reception for Regis.)
- Occupy This Party. Make signs. Bring tents.
- Beyonce Baby Bash. Personally I don’t believe the rumors that she’s faking her pregnancy (and, hey now, let’s not stigmatize surrogacy, k?), so let’s break out our best Single Ladies dance routines and celebrate our greatest living performer.
- Dining with the Dictionary. This year over 150 words were added to the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary. Instruct guests to come dressed as their favorite one. I can imagine awesome costumes for “bromance,” “crowdsourcing,” and “tweet.”
- Exoplanet Expo. NASA’s Kepler mission has now confirmed the existence of 33 previously undiscovered-by-us planets, two of which are Earth-like in size. It’s really pretty wonderful that we have the technology to explore in this way. Celebrate the possibility of life on other planets by watching E.T. or episodes of ALF.
- A Winning Wingding (wingding isn’t just a font, it’s also a synonym for party. Look it up.) Remember when Charlie Sheen went nuts? That was funny. Drink some tiger blood (Diddy tweeted a recipe) and say things that are crazypants.
- Arab Spring Fling. OK, I can’t do it. I can’t trivialize what’s happened in the Arab world this year. It’s just amazing.
Can you add anything to the list?